Many beginning and intermediate runners use a run-walk strategy instead of running the whole distance. This works for any distance running from a 5K up.|
It's a kind of interval training.
Many will actually have a faster time this way rather than running the whole race.
Hal Higdon qualified for the Boston Marathon using a run-walk strategy.
Recommended Walk Break ratios at Jeff Galloway's Magic Mile (www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/)
You enter your mile time at (www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/) and he computer ratios for 5K to Marathon'sme. He has the following table which doesn't match any results from his calculator.
|Walk Break Ratios
|8 min/mi ||run 4 min / walk 35 seconds
|9 min/mi ||run 4 min / walk 1 min
|10 min/mi ||run 3 min / walk 1 min
|11 min/mi ||run 2 min 30 sec / walk 1 min
|12 min/mi ||run 2 min / walk 1 min
|13 min/mi ||run 1 min / walk 1 min
|14 min/mi ||run 30 sec / walk 30 sec
|15 min/mi ||run 30 sec / walk 45 sec
|16 min/mi ||run 30 sec / walk 60 sec
In Galloway's Half-Marathon: You can do it!, 2013 and
Marathon: You can do it! he says:
* Seconds lost by walking 1 minute (Gallaway must be using faster walk speed and/or a 12-13 min/mi pace)
- A growing # of runners have run < 2:50 in a marathon by tsking walk breaks.
- When walking fast for 1 minute, most runners will lose about 10-12 seconds over running; With a slow walk you'll lose only about 17-20 seconds. *
- A walk-run strategy allows you to:
- Run faster in the last 6-8 miles
- Improve your half marathon time by 10-30 min
- Redice stress on knees, ankles & feet
- Have an easier recovery
- Walk with short strodes to avoid shin irritation
- Half-Marathon - Increase the interval between walks
Beginners should start with 30 sec. run 30 sec. walk
Experienced runners can start with 1 min - 1 min.
At 2 miles walk every 3-4 minutes
At 5 miles walk every 7-10 minutes
MPH ft/min time to run- (e.g. 60X290/660)
Slow walk 3.3 290' walk distance time lost* Run pace in run 7- walk 1
Fast walk 4 352' fast slow fast slow to equal run 8
8 min/mile 7.5 660' 32 26 sec 28 34 7:30
10 min/mile 6 528' 40 33 20 27 9:33
12 min/mile 5 440' 48 40 12 20 11:40
* 60 - run time
x.x = rating; (yyy) = Number of reviews
Run / Walk Intervals Timer apps.
Top 6 Apps for Run Walk Intervals (android) | AppCrawlr
Runtastic Timer - Android Apps 4.5 (6,560)
Interval Timer - Timing for HIIT Training and Workouts on the App Store on iTunes 4.5 (2,922)
Timex Ironman watch
Gymboss Interval Timer | Gymboss.com
Run-Walk-Run Vibrating Timer - Jeff Galloway E-Shop
Run-Walk | JeffGalloway.com