Note: These notes were designed for trips out of Clair Tappaan Lodge, so there are many references to CTL items, but the rest is generic for other trips.
Contents: Contacts | Speakers | Flowers | Services | Trip Steps | Correspondence | Food | Links to Extranet | Medical notes | Some Trips | Links
This page contains contacts and other leader notes for Calif-Nevada committee run from the Clair Tappaan Lodge (CTL).
Some 2008 trips.
Trip Leader Notes
Clair Tappaan Lodge (CTL) Official Web Site: www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/ctl/
P.O. Box 36, Norden, CA 95724
19940 Donner Pass Road (old Hwy 40), Soda Springs
Phone: (530) 426-3632 or (800) 679-6775 or (530) 414-1364 (emergency cell phone)
Lodge Manager: Peter Lehmkuhl Mobil - 530 913-6705,
"Peter Lehmkuhl" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Claudia Hilligoss - Calif-Nevada Committee Chair - (510) 410-2020
Sophika Kostyniuk, National Outings, Operations Manager
"Sophika Kostynuik" <Sophika.Kostyniuk@SIERRACLUB.ORG>
Tony Rango, Director of National Outings - 415-977-5524, email@example.com
National outings in Clubhouse (ExtraNet) (mitchell.sierraclub.org/outings/National) - Contacts
Joyce - 415-977-5604; Tara - 415-977-5686
Ernie Malamud, Chair of the CTL Committee, - (530) 470-8303 firstname.lastname@example.org
See more National outings links below.
See the Tahoe Emergency Contact page for Sheriff, Forest Service, Medical, ... contacts.
Tahoe Rim Trail Association 775 298-0012 email@example.com
Angela White and Les Atkins - Truckee 530-550-8215 firstname.lastname@example.org
Two of our favorite speakers are no longer available.
John Skinner, Retired Tahoe National Forest Supervisor, and author of Sierra Outdoors, passed away in 2009.
Phil Sexton, Interpretive Guide, formerly with the Forest Service at the now defunct Big Bend Ranger station and author of the Donner Pass Guide is now an Interpreter of cultural and natural resources for California State Parks in Sacramento CA.
For a reasonable fee, free dinner or other incentives he can be easily convinced to come back to his old stomping ground and give you an informative and entertaining presentation.
Donner Memorial State Park Information Center & Emigrant Trail Museum - 530-582-7892
- Forest Service contact Carrie Smith at the Truckee Ranger Station - 530.587.3550, 3558 (email@example.com)
Carrie Absher is an intern who has been giving talks the last few years.
- Hank Meals, co-author, Yuba Trails.
Nevada City - (530) 470-0632
- Don Lane - Forest Service Tahoe Basin Management Unit - S. Lake Tahoe
(530) 543-2600 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don Machholz - Astronomer - , Colfax, CA 530-346-8963, DonM353259@aol.com
- Tahoe Environmental Research Center (terc.ucdavis.edu) - (775) 881-7560 (Tahoe lab, Incline Village, NV),
They have several visitor options: 1. Talk at CTL, 2. Boat ride and talk from Tahoe City, 3. Visit to Environmental Center at Incline Village.
Education and Outreach Coordinator- Heather Segale, email@example.com (775) 881-7562
Research boat tours/rides at Tahoe City Marina - captain Brant Allen at 775-881-7560, ext. 7465.
Volunteer Coordinator - Tour Bookings- Jessie Hersher, firstname.lastname@example.org (775) 881-7566
See TERC education.
- Sterling Warr-Pryer - Geologist - Former Sierra College Instructor - 530-470-0221
Nevada City, CA
- Don Rivenes - Birding - Sierra Foothills Audibon - 530-477-7502
Nevada City, CA - email@example.com
John O'Donnell firstname.lastname@example.org - Birding
- Karen Wiese - Wildflowers - 530-346-7131
Chicago Park CA, email@example.com
Author of Sierra Nevada Wildflowers
- Brian Beffort author of Joy of Backpacking: Your Complete Guide to Attaining Pure Happiness in the Outdoors, firstname.lastname@example.org (775) 324-7667
Richard Boyden's Curriculum Research Page for the CTL Outdoor Ed Program has a lot of good information.
History of Clair Tappaan Lodge at www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/ctl
There is also a silent video about the building of the lodge.
Tahoe Conservation here has information on keeping Lake Tahoe Blue.
Summer Recreation at www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/ctl
Hikes and trail information
Donner Pass Area Information
Free Day Activities
Lake Tahoe Info
Services - Resturants - Boats - Entertainment:
Transportation at the Clair Tappaan page.
National Outings Resources:
See Clubhouse Links for National Outings trip planning links.
CTL Rates/costs/room and board (www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/ctl/booknow/)
2009: Adults - $50;
Children - $24
* History of the Sierra Nevada by Francis Farquhar.
* Sierra Nevada Natural History by Tracy I. Sorer and Robert L. Usinger.
* My First Summer in the Sierra by John Muir.
* Wildflowers of the Tahoe Sierra by Laird R. Blackwell.
* Geology of the Sierra Nevada by Mary Hill
Tahoe National Forest (www.r5.fs.fed.us/tahoe/)
My Tahoe notes
Searach for a trip at SierraClub.org
National outings in Clubhouse (ExtraNet)
Trip status report
Clair Tappaan Lodge
Donner Pass Area Info
Acknowledgments: Thanks to Aurora Roberts, Kathie Fowler, Linda Conklin and Sache Paris for most of this information.
You can blame me for organization problems and the Sierra Club for the dead links.
last updated 24 Jun 2012