last updated 31 July 2019
Glossary of Terms: | Combo deals: | Recommended micro SD Cards:
| Flying notes here | Flying notes here
See also: SPARK trouble shooting | donsnotes
Spark - Product Support - DJI
The User Manual at DJI
DJI Spark- Selfie Drone | DJI
Spark | DJI
YouTube | DJI
DJI Spark - Specs, Tutorials & Guides | DJI
Flight time: 16 min. at 12 MPH
Distance: 1.2 miles
Normal Speed sport mode: 6.7 MPH
Speed in active track mode test went 25-30 MPH
Speed with obstacle sensing disabled 13.4 MPH
Sports Mode Speed sport mode: 31 MPH
Camera Lens 25 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.6
Image size:12 MP 3968x2976 jpeg
Video: 1080p 30 fps real-time video transmission from up to 1.2 mi - MP4
It can be streamed live to your phone but better video will be recorded on the micro SD card.
Weight: 2/3 lb. with battery, .45 lb. without battery.
Drones over .55 lb. without the battery have to be registered, so the Spark does not need to be registered.
Note: You will see web pages saying it needs to be registered, because people don't know that the battery is not counted in the FAA registration rules.
DJI GO 4 App for your mobile device.
The Ultimate DJI SPARK FAQ: Everything You Should Know
- Active Track (Follow Me)- Recognizes objects and tracks them from front, back, specified angle or circles around them.
It uses a different tracking strategy bikes and other vehicles, people and animals.
It will track objects up to 30 MPH with obstacle avoidance turned off.
DJI ActiveTrack - LetUsDrone.com
- Return to Home (RTH) - If the battery gets too low, the connection is lost, or you hit the Return to Home (RTH) button.
One of the most common cause of crashes is using RTH under a tree where it will ascend first and hit the tree.
- Obstacle avoidance (OA):
If it detects an obstacle in it's path it will stop.
It has a 70° horizontal field of view and a 54° vertical field of view.
It will detect obstacles from up to 16 ft. max speed 7 MPH
If it is RTH it will go up and over the object
If goes into RTH and is more than 260 ft away, obstacle avoidance is turned off.
The side OA sensors have less range than the front.
I don't think there is a rear sensor.
- Pano modes - Will combine 3 photos vertically and 9 photos horizontally and stich them together.
- The camera is on a gimbal which stabilizes the camera and allows you to control pitch (up/down) and roll (twisting) while the drone is steady.
- FPV - First-person view - Video Piloting from FPV goggles.
When you tilt your head down the camera moves down.
- Geo System will tell you what airspace you are in and if it is restricted.
- Low battery Return to Home (RTH)
The Spark is generally considered the top of the line consumer/hobbiest drone.
There were a few negative comments in the reviews.
Battery can come loose and drone crashes
Customer service is bad
BUYER BEWARE: Because my drone lost connection, for whatever reason (DJI blamed this on me because I lost connection even though I literally didn't do anything wrong. We had this problem also and even though it should return to home on a lost connection if flew 0.3 mi out into Lake Tahoe and sunk in 300 ft of water.
Manual not good. look at video tutorials.
See Is the Spark still worth it in 2019?. He says No.
1080P only (4K better)
Limited flying time.
Some loss of control issues.
Mavic Air ($1,050 for fly more combo) is better and folds into a smaller package.
It still got 4.2 - 4.7 ratings.
- ATTI - Otherwise known as ATTITUDE mode occurs when the GPS signal is weak, or when the compass experiences interference or when the Vision System is unavailable. In ATTI mode, the aircraft is easily affected by its surroundings, which may result in horizontal shifting.
- FAA - Federal Aviation Agency
- FPV - First Person View e.g with goggles
- IMU - Inertial Measurement Unit - An electronic device that measures and reports an object’s specific force, angular velocity and attitude (including its course angle, pitch angle, and roll angle) using data from an accelerometer, gyroscope, thermometer, and barometer.
Accelerometer, Gyro and IMU Buying Guide - SparkFun Electronics
- Intelligenet flight mode: QuickShot, ActiveTrack, TapFly, Gesture, and Tripod modes.
- P mode is the mode your Spark will fly in when neither a GPS or the Vision System are available.
- RTH - Return to Home
- S mode - Sport Mode - faster speeds and more sensitive stick movements. Forward obstacle sensing is disabled
- Tripod Mode - Speed ad stik movements are reduced for smoother more controlled movements.
- UAV - Unmanned Arial Vehicle
Combos include the drone, controller, extra batteries, ...
DJI Spark, FLy More Combo $538 | Amazon
DJI Spark with Remote Control Combo $479 | Amazon
DJI SPARK Intelligent Quadcopter Drone Essentials Bundle (Alpine White) With DJI Spare Battery $50
32GB High Speed Card $8
One Year Warranty Extension
DJI Goggles - DJI Store $349
Recommended micro SD Cards:
A UHS-1 Micro SD card is recommended due to the
fast read write speeds for high-resolution video.
Sandisk 16/32 GB UHS-1 Micro SDHC
Kingston 16/32 GB UHS-1 Micro SDHC
Samsung 16/32 GB UHS-I Micro SDHC
Sandisk 64 GB UHS-1 Micro SDXC
Kingston 64 GB UHS-1 Micro SDXC
Samsung 64 GB UHS-I Micro SDXC
Name Price Obstacle Avoidance
Becrot RC $40
IDEA7 Foldable $100 N
C-Fly DREAM $270
19HW $50 7.6
Amazon.com: Hermitshell Hard EVA Travel Case 12.5*11.3*3.7 inch fits spark with propeller gards on. $34