|Don's Home Products Mattress Toppers|
|About Mattresses | Mattresses | Mattress toppers|
- Thickness: A good topper should be at least two inches, but a thicker option will offer more support, especially when it comes to foam toppers. If you're just looking for a small upgrade, opt for a thinner model.
- Softness: If your mattress is too firm, adding a down or fiberfill topper can give you plush comfort so it won't feel as hard.
Back Pain - Firm mattresses used to be recommended to avoid pain. New mattresses do not sag so the support guidelines below would apply.
- Support: If you're feeling pain when you wake up, adding a foam topper can increase firmness or give you you pressure relief around your joints.
Side sleepers need a softer mattress so their hips and sholders can sink in, back sleepers need a firmer one.
- Temperature regulation: Some mattresses can cause night sweats because they trap heat around your body, so you can opt for a topper with cooling features.
- Care: Many mattress toppers aren't washable, especially ones made of foam. If this matters to you, check for one that you can launder in a washing machine.
- Certifications: To make sure there are no harmful levels of chemicals in the materials, look for labels like CertiPUR-US on foam toppers. For down toppers, check for the Responsible Down Standard (RDS), which ensures the ducks and geese receive humane treatment.
At - Consumer Report's Organic Mattress Labels You Can Trust they say,
"The term "natural" on a mattress. It's meaningless, with no standards behind it. Even a mattress labeled "organic" may have only some materials that are actually certified organic.
For a mattress to qualify for the USDA Organic seal, it needs at least 95 percent certified organic materials and to be processed without potentially harmful chemicals.
Only two mattress labels precisely meet the most stringent qualifications: the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and, for mattresses that contain latex, the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS).
They do not include polyurethane foam.
CertiPUR-US applies only to the polyurethane foam in a mattress. While other standards, such as GOLS, bar this foam altogether, CertiPUR-US prohibits certain substances that are in many foams (such as polybrominated diphenyl ether, or PDBE, flame retardants) and requires testing for formaldehyde and other chemicals.
Greenguard Gold has more stringent emission limits on the above VOCs.
Overall Rating *
|Plush Beds||$849||2 or 3"||9.6||9.6||9.0||9.3||9.6||1. Latex; firmness 3-8
2. Gel Memory FOam
|Nest Alexander |
|$299||2"||9.5||9.5||9.4||9.6||9.4||Energex™ , which has a breathability and feel similar to latex.; firmness 4|
|Avocado||$799||2.75||9.5||9.5||9.6||9.3||9.5||Dunlop Latex, Organic cotton, Joma® wool|
|Tempur-pedic||$499||3"||9.4||9.5||9.2||8.7||9.5||Tempur® Memory foam; firmness 5
|Saatva *||195 - |
|1.5-3"||9.4||9.5||9.3||9.4||9.3||1. 3" graphite infused memory foam $275
2. 1.5" high density foam $195
3. 1.5" Talalay Latex $375
|Layla||$399||2"||9.3||9.2||9.0||9.5||9.2||copper-gel infused foam|
|Lucid||$245||2-4||8.5||8.4||8.1||8.3||8.6||Gel memory foam|
|Ikea||$349||2 - 3"||8.5||8.4||8.5||8.3||8.4||memory foam|
|Target *||$349||2 - 4"||8.3||8.3||8.1||8.1||8.2||1. 5-Zone Foam
2. Shredded memory foam top layer
3. egg-crate foam
4. gel memory foam
|$399||8.4||8.3||8.2||8.7||8.2||Foam cubes- polyester fiberfill; firmness 3-4|
|Costco||Slumber Search had the following general comment: When it comes to quality, most customers like the way they feel, but some customers have comfort and durability issues with some products.|
See SlumberSearchs reviews of individual models and reviews at Costco by clicking on the models below.
|Costco Novaform |
|$200||3"||4.3 (1164) ||LURAcor(TM) Support Foam|
|Costco Novaform |
|$160||3"||4.6 (264)||EVENcor GelPlus Gel Memory Foam
temperature regulating washable cover
|Costco Novaform |
|$160||3"||4.3 (3550)||EVENcor GelPlus Gel Memory Foam
|Costco Serenity |
|$190||3"||4.4 (2190)||Memory Foam
Other frequent recommendations not on SlumberSearch
|Pure Green Latex||$249||3"||Wirecutter||4.4 (2979)||Latex|
|Amerisleep Lift||$349||3"||Simply Rest ||4.3 (160), (4.7 187)||Plant Based Memory Foam|
- Best Value Mattress Topper: Linenspa Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Most Popular Mattress Topper on Amazon: Lucid Down Alternative & Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Best Mattress Topper for Firm Mattress: Parachute Down Mattress Topper
- Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain: Saatva Graphite Mattress Topper
- Best Cooling Mattress Topper: Therapedic Polar Nights Cooling Ice Cube Mattress Topper.
Blend of memory foam cubes mixed with polyester fiberfill.
This didn't sound good with foam cubes. They are sold by Bed Bath & Beyond, but the stores I called didn't have any samples. $399
- Best Organic Mattress Topper: Avocado Green Organic Latex Mattress Topper
- Best Machine-Washable Mattress Topper: SOPAT Extra Thick Mattress Topper