Don's Home Places Tibet Facts Contact
Tibet Facts and Figures:

Area: 1,625 mi. x 812 mi. (about same as Calif., Nev., Utah and Ariz.) Average elevation 16,500 ft.
Language(s): Tibetan and Chinese
Currency: Renminbi (RMB). The basic unit is the yuan.
1.00 CNY (China Yuan Renminbi) = $0.121 (US Dollaar) a/o Sep. 2002
8.2 CNY / $
Population: 2.6 million     0.2% of China's 1.3 Billion, (growth rate: 0.9%)
    95% Tibetan, with the remaining 5% made up of 30 other nationalities such as Han, and Cheng. Large cities such as Lhasa, Tsetang and Shigatse seem to dominantly Chinese. Average Income: $300 US
Religion: Most Tibetans are devout Buddhists while a few believe in the old Bon. Islam and Catholicism also have a few followers in Lhasa and Yanjing respectively.
Dalai Lama

Return to Tibet.
last updated 6 Oct 2002