Martinsville History
According to "North of the Rariton Lotts" (1):
"Any history of Martinsville would have to begin with the Rariton River Lotts. These were laid out in 1682 by the General Board of Proprietors of the Eastern Division of New Jersey and comprised six tracts of land approximately 877 acres each, stretching along the north side of the river from Bound Brook to Raritan.

Their first owners' names are well documented, but the same cannot be said for the lands north of the Rariton lotts. Notwithstanding a deed in the New Jersey State Library which clearly states that Peter Sonmans in 1708 purchased 2,000 valley acres from the Indian chief, "Mochosconge". The General Board of Proprietors in Perth Amboy, still operating today, insists that this deed was not a legal instrument. "

The earliest known settler was Robert Bolmer some time prior to 1713.

Washington's Continental Army established the Middlebrook Encampment here during the early summer of 1777, and used it during the winter of 1778-1779 also.

The village officially came into being in 1827, when it was established as a US Post Office. The man responsible for this achievement was Absalom Martin, who's father Joshua, settled here in about 1786. The townspeople showed their appreciation by naming their post office for him.

The Martin house still stands just east of the bridge over the east branch of Middlebrook on Gilbride Rd. (formerly Martin Lane).

Bridgewater History
Middlebrook Encampment

(1) "North of the Rariton Lotts: A history of Martinsville, NJ area", By Members of the Martinsville Historical Committee, Edited by Edward J. Maas Published by Neshanic Printing 1975. Reprinted by Somerset Co. Historical Soc. 1998
Avail. for $25 from the Somerset Co. Historical Society
Note: The Martinsville Historical Committee was disbanded.

Somerset Co. Historical Society
9 Van Veghten Dr., Bridgewater
(908) 218-1281 - Open Tue. noon-3 Apr. 1 - Dec. 15, 2nd Sat. Dec. 12

A. A. Boom (deceased) manuscript describing rock walls between Vosseller and Chimney Rock.

Somerset County Cultural and Heritage Commission
County Administration Bldg. Tom D'Amico

Return to: Martinsville Information

last updated 28 Nov 2001