The general rule for Poison Ivy or poison ivy is,|
"Leaves of three, let it be"
Poison ivy is a contact dermatitis, urushiol (oil in poison ivy, poison oak, ...) induced rashes are a Type IV hypersensitivity reaction, also known as delayed-type hypersensitivity.
You can wash to oil off, but need to do it in 10-15 minutes.
Do not burn poison ivy. The smoke can contain some of the oil which can irritate your respiratory system.
A study that compared Tecnu ($1.25/oz.) with Goop Hand Cleaner or Dial Ultra Dishwashing Soap ($0.07/oz.) found that differences among the three—in the range of 56-70% improvement over no treatment—were nonsignificant (P>0.05), but that improvement over no treatment was significant at the same level of confidence.
You can also:
If it is bad enough you can get a secondary bacterial infection which requires antibiotics.
Prednisone can be prescribed. Prednisone belongs to a class of drugs known as corticosteroids. It decreases your immune system's response to various diseases to reduce symptoms such as swelling and allergic-type reactions.
When I did some more googling there were others.
Spray or bath with comfrey leaf and plantain leaf tea.
A compress with a washcloth soaked in milk.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Return to health